Monday, April 4, 2011

Will Power at the Baby Shower

I cheated!
Ok not really. I had a vegan chick pea/sun dried tomato/olive salad/hummus. I'm not sure what was in it but I know the beans alone were on the no list. It was at the baby shower and I had just decided I would eat whatever. I also had the inside part of a pita wrap, but not the pita. It was just grilled veggies and hummus. For some reason the garbanzo beans tore my stomach up, so I think I will avoid them from now on. I was pretty proud of myself for passing up the following on my trip:
- the giant loaf of fresh baked bread at the restaurant in the airport that sat on the table throughout the whole meal, mocking me
- a hamburger, onion rings and French fries at Red Robin
- the mini vegan cupcakes at my sister's shower - one was a mini Hostess style and looked incredible
- the vegan cake at my sister's shower.
My 5 year old niece was an inspiration at the shower. She had gone to the park with her grandpa and uncle and when she came back we were all having cake (except me. I was having fruit). She looked around and said "mommy, can I have some fruit?" upon finishing her fruit she moved on to cupcakes and cake, but still, I was thoroughly impressed. All the other kids came tearing in, like normal 5 and 6 year olds and had chocolate all over hands and face within seconds, without asking. Anna, on the other hand, wanted fruit - I mean, it was a giant and beautiful filled glass bowl with blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, melon. She appreciates good food and it reminded me that the fruit was all I needed. I must note that she was also snacking on slices red bell peppers, carrots an raw almonds with me in the car. Pretty unusual for a 5 year old. 
Overall I am pretty happy with how I did. I'm going to Seattle in two weeks to play derby with the travel team and this was a little test run of how I do out of my comfort zone

2 comments:

  1. Did you finish the month? I just found your blog and was super interested! Would you recommend it, or just some aspects of the diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the Paleo diet for about 6 weeks and loved it. It felt good and the most noticeable part was that I didn't get sore really at all when I exercised. The drawback was that it was high maintenance - I had to plan plan plan and it got time comsuming, not to mention expensive. Once I stopped following the Paleo diet, I felt like making it through practice wasn't as difficult - I think the Paleo way of eating messed with my energy levels with derby. I am currently on the "eat as many calories as possible" diet and loving it. You definitely can't see my abs like you could before, but I'm ok with that! I think the Paleo diet is good for people who want to lose weight, but I struggled with keeping it on and feared that I was losing muscle. Hope this helps!
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete