Sunday, March 20, 2011

Doing the derbs on the Paleo

I had a game today - Oakland Outlaws vs Berkeley Resistance. We won! (barely - it was 138 to 134 and the final jam was what called it). I was really worried about playing because of how I felt on Monday at practice (I got dizzy and I was pretty low energy), but I did ok. I was a little bit of a crazy person all day about fueling because I wanted to make sure I could perform. I was basically force feeding, which is not actually new. I always feel like I am choking down my food on game day because I am eating for fuel, not cuz it tastes good - I am usually all nervous, so I don't really want to eat but know I have to. I definitely had a moment after coming back from half time where I felt dizzy, even though I was back in the locker room the whole time shoveling food down. Seriously. At half time I ate a banana, the rest of my microwaved yam that was totally cold and mildly disgusting, a coconut water, some grapes, some apple sauce and the rest of this hippy raw food sushi bowl thing from Gratitude (ode to Berkeley on this one - it said "I am accepting" on the box cuz that's how Gratitude names everything, which is frankly kind of irritating).
I think it is still too soon to tell if it is the diet that caused the dizziness since this is only day 6. I always feel a little like I'm losing my mind when I jam in an actual game cuz, well, it is EXHAUSTING! The good news is that my muscles didn't feel fatigued even once during the game and I didn't get shaky at all - I just got a little dizzy and didn't feel likeI had quite the hop in my step that I normally do, but I was jamming a lot and Berkeley has some pretty tough blockers, so it is pretty reasonable to be tired, right?
I am feeling like this is a little high maintencance, but it is manageable. I am gonna stick with it - especially for Jo. He already lost 8 lbs (he went to 191 to 183 pounds which is pretty amazing - if you want to track his progress, look here: http://jolara-fitnessadventures.blogspot.com/). Oh, I gained some weight back, which rules. I am now 136 (I started at 140, so I think that is ok). I have been adding flax seed oil and coconut oil to basically everything, both of which are pretty damn fatty.
Starting Monday, I am going to commit to doing at least 2 off skates workouts a week and I will note them here. Hopefully by then my body will be able to handle it. I am hoping that might help with the hops in my step.
I am also going to pow-wow with Chantilly Mace, who started the diet on Tuesday. I know she is a really good resource for what to eat for fuel because she is always eating some crazy concoction when the travel team is on the road. She even brings an emersion blender. She is totally comitted.
I am going to fall into bed - I have to be at Peralta at 10:30am for a travel team scrimmage against Sacred, which is not that long from now. Had to sacrifice the after party so I could rest a little. No ice bath tonight, though. I only really do that for tournaments, and cuz Demanda Riot makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment